Think of young dogs and cats like toddlers. They’re not entirely stable on their feet. They’ll put nearly anything in their mouths. They’re curious about EVERYTHING. Keeping that in mind, here are a few ways to keep your home safe for your puppy or kitten.
- Keep toxic/dangerous chemicals such as household cleaners, antifreeze, rat poisoning, and your own personal medications in a locked cabinet or in a room to which your pet does not have access.
- Keep an eye out for small holes or gaps in the floorboards, walls, baseboards, heating vents, and anywhere else a small pet could squeeze into and get stuck. Even your furniture can pose potential hazards. Kittens especially can squeeze into holes in box spring mattresses and upholstered chairs, and they can be trapped in the mechanism underneath a reclining chair.
- Be on the lookout for items your new puppy or kitten might swallow. Paper clips, coins, rubber bands, staples, pen caps, thread, dental floss, earrings, needles, and thumbtacks can look appetizing to your little one.
- Depending on the size and age of your new pet, you may want to block off stairs and ledges until they are stable on their feet.
- Keep the toilet seat down! Dogs and cats can both view a toilet as their own personal water fountain. Small pets can fall in and injure or drown themselves, and automatic toilet bowl cleaners can be harmful or even fatal if an excessive amount is ingested.
- Puppies and kittens have the tendency to chew on things. Be sure to cover electric cords. This is especially important around the holidays when you decorate your home with lights.
- Research plants and flowers before putting them in your home or garden. Poinsettias, lilies, daffodils, mistletoe, are just a few examples of plants that can be poisonous to your pets.
- If your pet should ingest chemicals, pills, or any other harmful objects, seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!
- Poison Control +1 (888) 426-4435