Sometimes puppies like to bite when they play. The following are ways that you may combat this type of behavior:
- Offer positive reinforcement and praise when your puppy plays nice.
- Remove any positive reinforcement when biting occurs. This means that you walk away and ignore the puppy for 5-10 minutes each time he performs a behavior that you find unacceptable. Do not talk to your puppy during this time.
- Divert your pup’s attention away from your body by encouraging games like fetch instead of wrestling or playing tug-of-war.
- Create a noise maker using your car keys or an empty can with coins inside of it. Shake it vigorously when biting occurs accompanied by a firm “NO”.
- Make sure everyone in your family is keyed in to your game plan so that consistency is maintained.